Friday, March 9, 2018

Chewing Gum Soundtrack


Chewing Gum, as you can probably tell by the title, is a comedy television show staring the great Michaela Coel. To be quite honest I didn’t know who she was until I watched this show but since watching it - it’s like she’s everywhere I look. Since staring in Chewing Gum, which is produced by Netflix, she has appeared in both Black Mirror and the new Star Wars: The Last Jedi. But I say all this because it shows just how good the show is!

Chewing Gum is about a young girl in her early twenties named Tracey just trying to navigate her life and stumbling quite a lot along the way… and it’s probably because she’s so awkward… which is why I usually end up dying of laughter after a single episode. But honestly I loved watching this series so much because of the genre of music they chose, which was quite unusual for a new show... and a British one at that. They chose to use primarily hip-hop/R&B from the late 90s and early 2000s. The best decision anyone has EVER had. One, because it makes it seem like the show is in the early 2000s when its really set in present day. And two, anyone who grew up listening to that music knows that it is absolutely timeless.
            In fact, I haven’t stopped listening to Ja Rule since I finished watching the series like a year ago. But Ja Rule isn’t the only artist they features, some of the other artists include, TLC, Amerie, Schoolboy Q, Major Lazor, Beyonce, Mariah Carey, and Missy Elliot – a great mix of what I grew up with and just a sprinkling of whats in now. The show uses Ja Rule’s “Put It on Me” many times throughout the series, maybe because it such a great song but I’ll let you be the judge of that, so listen below!



No comments:

Post a Comment