Sunday, March 25, 2018

Gossip Girl Music


Gossip Girl… oh Gossip Girl… I didn’t start watching this show well until after it was over – like three years until after it was over. This was mostly due to the fact that I was ten years old when it first aired and my older sister, who watched it religiously, threw a pillow at my head whilst yelling “You’re too young to watch Gossip Girl” as I tried to sneak in her room every time I tried to watch it. But that’s the beauty of Netflix.

Anyway, so my first year of college, I began watching Gossip Girl and though it was only to see what I had missed all those years ago… I couldn’t stop. It was very much like the movie Twilight in that way – its pretty cheesy and laughable but that doesn’t stop me from watching it. Needless to say, Gossip Girl is not a show that takes itself very seriously with some exceptions. I mean, it’s a show about extremely wealthy high-school kids in New York basically living like they’re in their thirties – I don’t know about any of you but I couldn’t just walk out of my house anytime I wanted without telling my parents where I was going and when I would be coming back. So because these kids can basically do whatever they want including going to the club, getting drunk, and having relationships with whomever – Gossip Girl needs a lot of versatile music.
I would say Gossip Girl is definitely more on the pop side of the music charts (but I really don’t mind because it’s 2000s pop) but they do have a lot of great finds if you’re paying attention. Some of the artists they feature on the Gossip Girl include Cold War Kids, The Kooks, Robyn (drop the new album already girl), Florence & the Machine, Band of Horses, LCD Soundsystem, Phoenix, Passion Pit, Imogen Heap, The XX, Beach House, Foster the People, The Japanese Popstars, Grouplove, M83, St. Vincent, and Frank Ocean. You can see what I mean about versatile and this isn’t even half the list. Check out my favorite song featured on Gossip Girl below, “Shells of Silver” by The Japanese Popstars feat. James Vincent McMorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment